Seven Things I Won’t Do Today.

There is a big sky of Yes above our heads and a deep sea of No beneath our feet. Life happens when they touch. Aliveness, when they honor each other.

To _____ or not to ______. (Fill in the blanks).

If it’s true that our life is a blank, Yes-canvas, and we—the guest artists, it’s also true that if we don’t splash it with Nos, we’ll have no creation. Life is a mix of light and darkness.

Both—Yes and No—are legit words in our life’s dictionary and both can pass for the Yin or the Yang at any given time.

Nothing is written in stone, especially not us. Nothing is definite or final. Everything (everyone) moves. And there’s a time and a place for every opposite and every part of you, unscripted.

As some of us—Rebelle partners in creative crime—were coming to the end of a cycle, after managing our way through a couple of very exhausting (but exciting) first months of life, we thought we’d honor the Nos in our life and give balance another chance.

We passed a chain email around where we each added our No. And it felt good. And right. And liberating.

And this:

1. I won’t make an excuse to not exercise. I will do it because my body wants it. I want it. I won’t resist the motion of my body, the squeezing of my organs, the air in my lungs, the heat that will help to burn away a lifetime accumulation of negative habits.

***

2. I won’t allow negative thoughts implanted by 100 years of solitude take over my tired heart and restless mind. I won’t try to quiet my frail but invincible beauty whispering back at me in the bathroom mirror.

***

3. I won’t consume anything that isn’t deeply nourishing. My body is the most important tool I have to experience this life. I want to feel as alive as I possibly can. I want to be honest and sincere to my body. I want to deeply experience the intelligence of my body.

***

4. I won’t give away any more pieces of my heart to those who can’t appreciate or watch after their own. If there’s no home inside their chest, where am I supposed to live? I’d rather be alone with a heart than in heartless company.

***

5. I won’t look at others with contempt. I’ll acknowledge their presence and refuse to see anything other than their light if for only the moment passing. I’ll acknowledge the mystery of our co-existence. It’s not easy, but we’re all in this together. Right now.

***

6. I won’t listen to the don’ts, to the can’ts, to the shouldn’ts or even these won’ts. I won’t accept any fate that I have not willingly designed, repaired or restored with my own hands. I won’t agree to anything less than my everything. I won’t just survive, I’ll live fully and abundantly and like this life is mine.

***

7. I won’t walk the world blindfolded. I won’t close my eyes to the tragedy and the joy of humanity. I’ll try to find a shade of pain in everything, because it tears my soul apart and brings me closer to my fellow, suffering, sentient beings. I’ll also try to find a shade of beauty in everything, because it glues my soul back together and fills it with the “aha” of life and with a warm, liquid, ancient and permanent state of being that can only be defined as Love.

There’s a mighty, invincible and often ignored power of No in each one of us. The positive side of Un-being. The kind of No that not only makes a way for a bigger Yes, but that gives the Yes its contour and its unending possibilities. The most liberating way to declutter your heart.

What are your life-giving Nos? Add your dot to this Yang Manifesto and let’s inversely remind ourselves of our greater Yin.

{No, Yes, No, Yes}

Rebelle Society

Rebelle Society

Creatively Maladjusted Virtual Country occupied by the Art of Being Alive.
Rebelle Society is an online hub reporting ideas and acts of creative rebellion and celebrating the Art of Being Alive. It is a virtual country with no borders, except those imposed by the mind, and all you need to circulate freely through its pages is the passport of imagination. As Osho put it, "Creativity is the greatest form of rebellion." Join us? Subscribe to our newsletter and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & Instagram.

tanya lee markul commented on September 9, 2012 Reply
    now we need 7 ‘wills’ – chocolate covered and dipped in wild coconut flakes.
    • jamie commented on October 25, 2012 Reply
      I’m so down with some yeses and wills dipped in DARK chocolate and wild coconut flakes. Hell, yeah.
    • LHh commented on September 28, 2014 Reply
      Sweet ordeal..love this idea
    Andrea Balt commented on September 10, 2012 Reply
    I love lists. But it has to be prime numbers, or else…
    • Pab lo commented on August 1, 2013 Reply
      to pi or not to pie
  • Osmara Vindel
    Osmara Vindel commented on September 11, 2012 Reply
    Looking forward to the 7 Wills… cause the Won’t list was spectacular!! Keep em coming ladies.
    Mamaste commented on September 11, 2012 Reply
    You know me….my motto is YES to the nth degree….that is until you bother me, then it’s slam the door and NO! :) ~Mamaste
  • Melissa commented on September 12, 2012 Reply
    Love this: I won’t accept any fate that I have not willingly designed, repaired or restored with my own hands. I won’t agree to anything less than my everything. I won’t just survive, I’ll live fully and abundantly and like this life is mine. Thank you for this today… hit the spot. really. ouch! and thank you.
  • Tracy commented on September 28, 2012 Reply
    I was at first put off by the quote: “Half of the troubles of this life can be traced to saying Yes too quickly and not saying No soon enough.” ~ Josh Billings It seems like I’ve always had to overcome so much doubt to say “yes” that the thought of leaning toward “no” made me instinctively fearful, like I would be adding to my restrictions. What does it say about my mindset that it hadn’t occurred to me that I could say “no” to grow my empowerment? Thank you so much for the shift. There are so many favorite quotes in this piece, but this is my favorite: “There’s a mighty, invincible and often ignored power of No in each one of us. The positive side of Un-being. The kind of No that not only makes a way for a bigger Yes, but that gives the Yes its contour and its unending possibilities.”
    • Lisa Monahan Aust commented on May 19, 2013 Reply
      I felt JUST the same way. Amazing! I can just feel this huge paradigm shift inside as I lean lovingly in to the no.
  • jamie commented on October 25, 2012 Reply
    I, too look forward to the Wills. But I’ll play with the won’ts. I won’t consume any media that isn’t deeply nourishing. Too much mainstream news and facebook and blogs and and and and and….and I feel just as shitty as if I sat and ate a pound of crappy candy. Empty consumption leads to atrophy. Of spirit and mind. Of soul.
  • Kim commented on December 2, 2012 Reply
    yes, yes no, no come closer – now go this is our perpetual state of being if you are quiet enough to see what a wonderful gift a life is this is yes, that is no, and what will be will be
  • Brantub commented on August 1, 2013 Reply
    I won’t ‘kill time’ and I refuse to be bored.
  • Pab lo commented on August 1, 2013 Reply
    hahaha, Don´t write without your list self-destruction button! (LOVE 6)
  • sharon astorino commented on August 1, 2013 Reply
    Love it
  • Asun Eagle commented on October 2, 2013 Reply
    I won’t do any harm. I won’t take any shit. Wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove. Loving your list though.
  • Joe Sparks commented on November 24, 2013 Reply
    Learn to say “no” to someone as though you were handing someone the moon.
  • sheenawrites commented on August 8, 2014 Reply
    Today I will say no to anything that does not empower me.
  • michelerose commented on August 19, 2014 Reply
    really liked # 3 a lot, thanks for the realization
  • Krystallynn commented on February 14, 2015 Reply
    I secherad a bunch of sites and this was the best.
  • Rhiannon commented on March 19, 2015 Reply
    1) I will not listen to “what’s your excuse” messages?. Sorry number one annoyed me (although yes I agree with all the benefits). Quite frankly the “what’s your excuse?” for not exercising today is plastered all over the internet; the message bothers me. As one who loves trail running and mountain biking in the forest, some days, yes there really is NO time! My excuse is being a full time mom and nursing student, and I am not going to beat myself up about it; doesn’t society already encourage us to do that enough? Although every time I turn on the internet I get some picture of a women doing squats with the exact same message. The sentiment of nourishing our bodies with food and movement is great. But I find the “excuse” admonishments, in general, belittling.
  • mbckps commented on May 19, 2013 Reply
    (sorry! was trying to be cute and send a “list'” of prime numbers but that didn’t work out… egg on my face)!… oh well….. ta