The Power of Introverts.

{Audrey Hepburn, well-known introvert}

If Introversion is a disease, then can I please get a disability so I don’t have to work with extroverts all the time? ~ Anonymous
In a Cat vs. Dog world where being outspoken is considered an advantage, inward-speaking Introverts have often been regarded as rather “difficult.”

But maybe the problem is not in the quieter, cat heart and mysterious ways of the introvert, or in their constant need to be alone. Maybe it lies in the either/or mentality that has been fueling our social imagination, for centuries.

Placing one above the other may be as absurd as pulling the Yin aside from the Yang or as the never-ending battle of the sexes.

Perhaps both, the cat and dog-hearted alike are needed to create a more complete, collaborative and effective human combination.

Susan Cain, author of the acclaimed Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can’t stop talking, connects the silent dots:

Via TED Talks

Compact brilliancy?
This magical illustration of Susan’s message in two minutes, created by the RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce):

Speaker: Susan Cain
Artist: Molly Crabapple
Director: Jim Batt
Production Coordinator: Kim Boekbinder

“There’s a word for ‘people who are in their heads too much': thinkers,” says Susan Cain in her Manifesto.

And here is a pocket guide on how to care for your dearest “thinkers:”

Based on Linda Kreger Silverman’s, On Introversion

{Created by Becky from Questionably Late}

In my lifetime tendency to meow and purr, I’ve often been an example of Chris Jami‘s observation:

“In an extroverted society, the difference between an introvert and an extrovert is that an introvert is often unconsciously deemed guilty until proven innocent.”

Shall we change this?

More Introversion:

>> Rainer Maria Rilke on the Art of Being Alone.

>> Poetry Lounge: “My life had stood, a loaded gun.” {Emily Dickinson}

{Let’s purr.}

Andrea Balt
Co-Founder/Editor-in-Chief of Rebelle Society, Wellness Alchemist at Rebelle Wellness & Professional Dream Chaser at Creative Rehab. Unfinished book with a love for greens, bikes and poetry; raised by wolves & adopted by people; not trying to make art but to Be Art. Holds a BA in Journalism & Mass Communication, an MFA in Creative Writing & a Holistic Health Coach degree from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition®. In her work she tries to reflect the wholeness of the human experience by combining Art & Health + Mind & Body + Darkness & Brilliance into a more alive, unabridged and unlimited edition of ourselves. She is also on a quest to reinstate Creativity as one of our essential Human Rights to (hopefully and soon) be included in the UN Declaration. Connect with her in the Social Media Jungle via Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and sign up for her FREE MuseLetter.

• Sheila Jaillet
    Sheila Jaillet commented on November 1, 2012 Reply
    I’m so glad it is ok to cross the road to avoid small talk (from her manifesto), I feel so guilty when I do! I also love this: “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.” – Gandhi. Purrrr!
  • naglee commented on November 1, 2012 Reply
    I recently read her book and LOVED it! I finally understand why i feel so weird and guilty when my friends want to go out and I’d rather stay home. It’s helped me a lot in understanding how I personally need to balance my social life with my solitude. It’s still a struggle to have to say no to invites when I have ‘nothing’ to do. But now when I do go out it’s because I really want to spend time with the people I love, which makes me a better friend. So now I’m letting my introverted freak flag fly!
  • jamie commented on November 1, 2012 Reply
    I read somewhere that what defines extroverts and introverts isn’t how they are in the world but rather how they RECHARGE. By all accounts, I’m an extrovert…but I completely recharge alone. It took me years to figure this out. People think I want to go out and party all the time because…well…I seem like that kind of person. The reality is the farthest from the truth. Give me a quiet night with myself and I’m good to go.
  • ooya commented on November 1, 2012 Reply
    Thank You…from a proud, wise introvert ;)
  • Sunny La Rosa commented on December 1, 2012 Reply
    As a recovering introvert … I thoroughly enjoyed this.
    Jim Fry commented on December 26, 2012 Reply
    From an energetic vantage, some (*but not all* by a long shot) extroverts actively drain energy from others, often from introverts. When I was younger I was able to “see” this transfer equation in play; now I’m no longer with that capacity, yet the memory serves me well. Even the teasing, pressure to change and similar attempts by extroverts (again, some but not all!) to induce or entrain introverts towards extroversion may be subtle drains, when not consciously perceived and understood.
  • porkchop2 commented on May 12, 2013 Reply
    well, i seem to be a hybrid {puppy-cat}? sometimes slinkin about,all a purrr in distance… others, wild-wag all tongue and woof.
  • hypnotiqsolutions commented on May 12, 2013 Reply
    Porkchop2 you are an Ambivert, containing both the qualities of an introvert and extrovert. :)