“The heart has its reasons, which reason knows nothing of.” ~ Blaise Pascal
I did something random and weird today. I did something I never thought, in a million years, that I would do. I went to the florist at the graveyard where my mother is buried. And then, I bought a fake Christmas tree.
It’s about two feet in height. It’s decorated with red ornaments and gold bows. I paid $55 for the thing. Then I took it to my mom’s grave and staked it into the ground. The ground was hard. It took several tries before I could get it to take root. I was sweating and cursing and then I had to laugh at myself.
What the fuck am I doing?, I wondered. I know my mother doesn’t care. I know she’s passed. I suspect the last thing on her heavenly, omniscient mind right now is whether or not I’m spending my hard-earned yoga money on decorating her gravesite. And yet, I couldn’t stop myself.
I hatched the plan last week when I went to visit her grave, something I do bizarrely often, in my estimation. I often go there when I’m confused, upset, sad, excited, or just bored. Sometimes, my car drives itself. I park and think, I’m here again. I get up and trudge to her site. I know it inside and out now. I could find her site with a blindfold on.
Sometimes, I sit down and just breathe. Sometimes, I pray. Sometimes, I cry. Sometimes, I smile. It really just depends. I swear I can feel her there though. I imagine holding her uber-powerful and serenely-soft left hand, the only limb that had any life in it at the time of her death, and I just swoon.
I miss my mom. Her death was horrific and tragic and far too soon. But she is better off now and I would not want her here suffering as she did in the end. I love her and miss her and I know, I know, I know she is still with me in my heart. Our loved ones are with us still, for this I know.
And I hope she likes the gold bows. She always loved those.
Latest posts by Rebecca Butler (see all)
- How Do You Define Your Self-Worth? - August 13, 2013
- How to Handle Criticism. - June 15, 2013
- Love Is: Seeing Yourself in Another. - May 22, 2013
- Happiest Anniversary: when love makes decisions. - April 15, 2013
- The Joy of Uplifting. - March 29, 2013
- Kindness. My new favorite drug. - March 18, 2013
- Say Yes to Life. - February 21, 2013
- Attracting Love. - February 6, 2013
- The Hemming. - January 29, 2013
- Navigating a bad day. - January 20, 2013
- Stars in Your Halo. - January 4, 2013
- Not So Silent Night. - December 26, 2012
- Graveyard Christmas. - December 19, 2012
- Beauty in the Raw. - December 10, 2012
- Can Love Incapacitate You? - November 30, 2012
- Five Amazing Things I Learned from my Mom. - November 21, 2012
- Confessions of a meat-eating yogini. - November 16, 2012
- State of Allowance: The space to be You. - November 9, 2012
- Three controversial tips to being your badass self. - November 5, 2012