8 ways to romance clarity in the midst of a cluttered & confusing world.
“I have been and still am a seeker,
but have ceased to question stars and books;
I have begun to listen to the teachings my blood whispers to me.” ~ Hermann Hesse
Meet the unknown. The frightening part. The part that we think we’d rather not step into or consider because it makes our stomachs turn with one part butterflies, one part overwhelmed and two parts nausea.
When you actually must face the unknown, it often feels like hard manual labor, too dirty and sweaty and maybe even so unbearable that you’ve convinced yourself it’s actually easier to swiftly turn around and dive back into the comfort of the familiar because at least you know you can handle that kind of pain.
You already live it every day.
Remaining stagnant just seems more reasonable than a major life shift, despite the daily weight of your most glorious idealisms attempting to eject life into your tired heart, calling out furiously and begging you to listen. In this chaotic modern world where so many distractions beckon at every turn, many of us have actually forgotten how to listen to ourselves.
However, without expectation or explanation, sometimes, those what-ifs catch us off guard, and flood us with an ancient wisdom that often reveals itself on some idle weekday afternoon when we are immersed in our dreadful daily routines.
This wisdom is called clarity.
Shocking, dizzying clarity. When it arrives, the secure ceiling will lift, the floors will fall out from underneath your firmly planted feet, and the light will sweep in from somewhere that looks like sky.
Before you can digest it, touch it, or know what is happening, your vision will come in so sharp it will feel as though the entire world is suddenly crystalline, and your eyes can see above and beyond what has been, what is now, and what will be.
Your soul’s passion will pass through your body like a wild flame, igniting your spirit, and rendering you breathless with answers and seemingly unstoppable determination to finally do what you’re meant to do.
And then, just as fleeting as it appeared, the moment will pass, and the flame will evaporate into a lingering trail of smoke, swirling alongside the all-too familiar drizzle of paralyzing thoughts that begin to quicken with such intensity that soon enough they’re pouring and blending together to morph into one giant and roaring storm of “I cant’s” and “No’s” and “I’m not capable” , “It’s too difficult” and 99 other ridiculous excuses you’ve become so conditioned to produce and drown in.
All at once you find yourself right back to where you started; feeling so drained and far removed from living the seemingly unreachable life you were actually meant to live.
The white light moment of clarity happens to us all, but it’s hard to make it last. Too many of us will dismiss it as another passing, meaningless daydream that slips away from sight before its significance is ever fully realized.
This is now me speaking to you. I am staring unflinchingly into your eyes, human to human, and I’m going to tell you to take slow, deep breaths, trust your moment of clarity, and then go romance the hell out of it because it is one of the most beautiful and true things you will ever come across in your lifetime.
Imagine your clarity as your soulmate, lover and muse, screaming from the rooftops in order to get to you in any way possible to find yourself again.
It’s a miracle you are here, and with that, you are powerful and worth the extra work because the only thing keeping you from the life you want to live is you and the lies you keep telling yourself as to why you cannot achieve it.
Now, once it slips out of your grasp, clarity can be an elusive lover. So how do you get it back, and hold it close on a daily basis so you can be in tune with the important small choices you are faced with each day that lead to your vision and purpose?
1. Let go of your own imaginary boundaries you’ve carefully compiled block by block by block until the walls were suddenly too tall to climb, too rigid to push, and too heavy to lift. Break them, astounded by the strength you didn’t realize you possessed.
2. Dissolve the paranoia that stiffens the movement of your precious, aching joints until they can once again find the very beat it takes to continue dancing.
3. Release the linear parts of the mind that poison you with worries; worries that weigh down your head and spine and hips to the point of exhaustion from leading a dreadfully predictable life that feels as though it’s becoming a tortuously slow erosion of emptiness with each passing year.
4. This one is brought to you by the lovely Anaïs Nin:
“To change skins, and evolve into new cycles, I feel one has to learn to discard. If one changes internally, one should not continue to live with the same objects. They reflect one’s mind and the psyche of yesterday. I throw away what has no dynamic, living use.”
Discard all forms of clutter such as toxic people and meaningless attachments that regularly fog your path. Remember if you’ve been trying to fill that void with external “stuff,” now is the time to let it all go.
5. Refuse to be that person that, like so many others is still driving down the same road, years down the line, desperately seeking to go back in time to be given just one more chance to take the road that they know they should have taken. This is your chance; so take the road now.
6. Let go of the idea that the pain of change is greater than the pain of remaining the same, because honey, this is life and life is painful, so things are gonna hurt no matter what road you choose. Dive headfirst into the unknown and change something.
7. Practice yoga in your free time. Go for long meditative walks, then go home and fuel your body with vibrant, colorful, nourishing foods. Then sit and feel the energy of health rush through your veins.
Staying healthy is not as difficult as you think, and once your body realizes how wonderful these new ways of loving yourself feel, I promise you, it will begin to crave them daily.
8. Become unhinged, unglued, and undone. Learn how be connected to the universe, freed from the chains you had created, and have courage.
Once you reunite with your clarity, let it lubricate your parched soul, be the wave you want to glide on and the energy you give your body to. Allow it be the friend you become powerfully fearless with and the very medicine you need to dissolve your empty parts. Let it halt your restless yearning and lead your beautiful heart.
This clarity will help you release your passion into the world and once again pour vibrant color into your sepia toned life. Awaken and have trust for breakfast every single day as you allow yourself to be driven by the magnificent force of that one gorgeous dream that keeps returning.
It will not lead you astray.
Latest posts by Victoria Erickson (see all)
- A Sweet List of Things to Remember. - May 26, 2014
- Show Me How to Be Brave. - January 3, 2014
- Your Creative Force: How to Make the River Rage. - November 27, 2013
- Fierce Body Nourishment: 5 gentle steps. - August 2, 2013
- Best Children’s Books of All Time: Lessons on love, life & magic. - July 3, 2013
- 7 Morning Mantras for Dreamers & Doers. - June 14, 2013
- The Summer of Your Life: Pay Attention. - June 3, 2013
- 8 Wondrous Ways to Restore Your Wild Spirit. - May 17, 2013
- 6 Sweet Survival Tips for Super Sensitive Souls. - May 6, 2013
- A place called Nostalgia. - March 20, 2013
- 8 ways to romance clarity in the midst of a cluttered & confusing world. - March 4, 2013
- Deep Lessons from the Hearts of Dogs. - January 14, 2013
- Unprepared yet ready. - November 29, 2012
- Love the darkness, for that too will change. - November 20, 2012
- When all else melts away: my bikram yoga journey. - November 15, 2012