How To Handle Radiation And Toxic Exposure.
In this GD Health & Beauty podcast segment, I talked with Green Diva Meg about the diverse natural remedies to counteract the radiation we’re surrounded by in this modern world.
When it comes to radiation and toxic exposure, we’re all guinea pigs…
Our three sources of oxygen — food, water and air — are polluted and bound with toxins. All forms of pollution starve our bodies of oxygen. When it comes to nuclear radiation, we are all guinea pigs in this experiment. Here are a few ideas that may help us adapt and survive radiation and toxic exposure.
We need to remember that nothing is 100 percent guaranteed, and supplies of many of these foods and supplements may already be in short supply.
There are a number of foods that can better help our bodies tolerate the effects of pollution and radiation.
Keep in mind that the kidneys are one of the first organs to suffer from radiation damage. Eating lower on the food chain minimizes our chemical intake.
The seed buckwheat is high in rutin, helps to protect against radiation, and stimulates new bone marrow production.
The mucilaginous fibers in seaweed (such as kelp, kombu, arame, nori, sea lettuce, dulse, wakame and hiziki) help to prevent the reabsorption of radioactive Strontium-90, barium, cadmium and radium by binding with them and carrying them out of the body.
Sea vegetables are also high in natural iodine, which can load the thyroid, so that radiation is not absorbed. Eat two tablespoons daily for protection and be careful of overdoing. Be sure seaweeds are from clean waters.
Following the bombing of Nagasaki, a group of surviving macrobiotic doctors and their patients avoided radiation sickness by eating brown rice, miso soup, seaweed, Hokkaido pumpkin, and sea salt, and were told to avoid sugar and white flour products.
These patients did not get leukemia, though the hospital was only one mile from the bombsite!
High-chlorophyll foods like wheatgrass, spirulina, chlorella and barley grass strengthen cells, transport oxygen, help detoxify the blood and liver, as well as help neutralize polluting elements and stimulate RNA production. One can take 3-5 grams daily of these superfoods.
Sulfur-rich vegetables in the Brassicaceae family like broccoli, cabbage, kale, radish, Brussels sprouts, arugula, rutabaga, turnip, bok choy and mustard greens combine with toxins and help to prevent free radical damage. Also rich in protective sulfur are garlic, onions, and beans.
High-pectin foods like carrots, sunflower seeds and apples help to keep pollutants from being assimilated. High-beta-carotene foods (like green leafy vegetables, carrots, winter squash and sweet potatoes) help promote healthier immunity and cellular protection.
Unpasteurized sauerkraut helps promote healthy intestinal flora.
Garlic keeps radioactive isotopes from being absorbed. Radiation sickness can also contribute to the development of anemia, so green foods and beets can all help build the blood.
Nutritional yeast, high in B vitamins, binds, absorbs and carries heavy metals out of our systems. After the fact, foods that are rich in nucleic acids can help us to rebuild and include spirulina, chlorella, nutritional yeast and bee pollen.
Herbs to aid environmental illness
1. Aloe vera gel (Aloe vera) has been found to help heal radiation burns more quickly by its content of biogenic stimulators that encourage skin repair.
2. Burdock root (Arctium lappa) During the Industrial Revolution, burdock was recommended as medicine to help people cope with the increased pollution. It helps to neutralize and remove toxins from the body.
3. Dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale) improves the function of a body’s organs of elimination. Consider how this plant has done a good job for itself adapting to environmental pollutants.
4. Eleuthero herb (Eleutherococcus senticosus) can help alleviate fatigue, ameliorate symptoms from chemical and radiation exposure, and lessen the effects of stress.
5. Ginseng root (Panax ginseng) helps one to decrease the side effects of radiation and recover more quickly from its exposure.
6. Green and black tea leaves (Camellia sinensis) are antioxidant, immunity-stimulant, and contain radioprotective agents.
7. Milk thistle seed (Silybum marianum) helps protect the body from chemical exposure, environmental illness and liver damage.
8. Nettles herb (Urtica dioica) cleanses and strengthens the kidneys as it builds the blood.
9. Peppermint leaf (Mentha piperita) can reduce nausea from radiation exposure.
10. Red clover blossom (Trifolium pratense) improves health in general, helping all the organs of elimination function more optimally.
11. Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) have been found to bolster the immune system after radiation exposure.
12. Yellow dock (Rumex crispus) improves the function of the kidneys, liver, lymphatic system, intestines and skin, thus aiding the body’s natural cleansing process.
Supplements to help one better cope with environmental pollutants include the following antioxidants.
1. Vitamin A and beta-carotene improves tissue strength and decreases wound-healing time.
2. The B complex can improve stress and fatigue.
3. Vitamin C gives protection against a wide range of pollutants, reduces allergy symptoms, improves healing time and promotes detoxification.
4. Strontium-90 competes with calcium in the body and depletes vitamin D supplies in the body, so vitamin D supplementation may be helpful.
5. Selenium helps protect one from heavy toxicity (and is found in Brazil nuts, garlic, green and black tea).
7. Glutathione is very protective against environmental pollutants.
8. L-cysteine helps the liver break down chemicals.
9. Calcium helps protect the body from absorbing radioactive materials.
10. Magnesium helps prevent the uptake of Strontium-90.
11. Bee pollen is extremely nutritive and reduces the side effects from radium and Cobalt-60.
12. Zeolite clay helps to remove heavy metals and radiation, binding to toxins in the bloodstream and helping them to be eliminated.
Water and air
Epsom salt baths (one pound per bath) can also be used to help draw radiation and toxins out of the body.
Get a water-filtering system for the entire household.
Campaign for a cleaner, safer and less polluted world! Nuclear power is not the answer.
Listen to the latest full episode of The Green Divas Radio Show.
*Originally published on The Green Divas. Published with permission.